In Elder Law News

It depends on how much you have. If you have a house, that’s protected. Your other assets are limited to about $150,000 (though some states only allow the spouse to keep half the combined marital assets up to $150,000). If you have more than $150,000 in assets other than your home, you may want to consult with a local elder law attorney. However, given your husband’s excellent long-term care insurance policy, there’s no rush to do so (assuming the rest of your estate planning is in order).

Read more about Medicaid's protections for spouses in this article.

Harry S. Margolis practices elder law, estate, and special needs planning in Boston and Wellesley, Massachusetts. He is the founder of and answers consumer questions about estate planning issues here and at

Contact Us

Send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt

Start typing and press Enter to search