In Elder Law News

I’m not exactly sure what you mean by “signed over” to Medicaid. If they have a lien on the property, it’s unlikely that any bank will extend a loan. If they don’t have a lien, you may be able to get a loan, but this gets complicated. If she gets cash, that will make her ineligible for Medicaid until the funds are spent down. If it’s a line of credit that you use directly to pay bills, that’s less of an issue and probably OK. In any case, I’d recommend contacting the Medicaid agency and discussing it with them.

Harry S. Margolis practices elder law, estate, and special needs planning in Boston and Wellesley, Massachusetts. He is the founder of and answers consumer questions about estate planning issues here and at

Contact Us

Send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt

Start typing and press Enter to search