In Special Needs News

No. By definition since it’s your money it’s a self-settled trust, not a third-party trust. But if you are disabled and under the age of 65, you can transfer the funds into a (d)(4)(A) trust, which is just like a third-party trust except for the Medicaid payback provision from any funds remaining upon your death.

Harry S. Margolis practices elder law, estate, and special needs planning in Boston and Wellesley, Massachusetts. He is the founder of and answers consumer questions about estate planning issues here and at

Contact Us

Send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt

Start typing and press Enter to search